Re: [SLE] roaming profiles ?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:56:51 +0200
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 09:25, Peter Sutter wrote:
> I am in a situation where "roaming profiles" are required (11 machines), so
> that the desktop settings etc move with the user, i.e. the user expects his
> desktop on whichever workstation he logs in.
>
> I was thinking that the easiest way would be to put /home on the server and
> do an nfs mount at login. Unfortunately the environment is a bit more
> complex, the clients run different linuxes, currently there are SuSE Linux
> V8.2, SuSE Linux V9.1, SuSE Linux V9.2, Ubuntu 6.06 and Fedora
> workstations.
>
> I can't see how "roaming profiles" could easily be realised in such an
> environment, the question is can it be done without too much effort?

It will be difficult, since different versions of desktop software (gnome, kde
etc) requires different versions of the config files, so it's hard to switch
around

It makes a lot of administrative sense to have all workstations on the network
run the same software. If you don't want to run the same distribution, at
least you should make sure they run the same versions of kde or gnome (or
whatever you use). Then your idea of a remote mounted /home would work

Having multiple versions of things for no good reason is just a recipe for
headaches

--
Ut supra post festum sunt obscura