[SLE] LVM snapshot partitions, udev, and weirdness
  • From: "Marlier, Ian" <ian.marlier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:43:59 -0400
Hey, all --

I've been playing around with Xen, and am now working on a script that
will create Xen hosts as needed. These hosts are going to be more or
less exact copies of a single master, with testing versions of a couple
of applications installed in addition.

I'm using LVM's snapshot capability to create snapshots of the master,
rather than copying it. That saves some space, and makes management
easier.

The problem that I'm running into is this: sometimes the snapshot
creates fine; other times, lvcreate makes a regular lvm partition, and
then exits abnormally, as here:
devxen0:~/xenscripts # lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Origin Snap% Move Log Copy%
master xenmachines -wi-a- 12.00G
master-swap xenmachines -wi-a- 1.00G
devxen0:~/xenscripts # lvcreate -s -L5G -n test xenmachines/master
LV xenmachines/test in use: not deactivating
Couldn't deactivate new snapshot.
devxen0:~/xenscripts # lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Origin Snap% Move Log Copy%
master xenmachines -wi-a- 12.00G
master-swap xenmachines -wi-a- 1.00G
test xenmachines -wi-a- 5.00G
devxen0:~/xenscripts #

I've found a couple of notes around the 'net that suggest that
eliminating udev from the equation will make this issue go away, but I'm
a little reluctant to do that if I don't need to.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Had this problem?

More to the point, anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Ian