Re: [SLE] Suse 10.1 vs. Enterprise Desktop 10?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:21:26 +0200
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 20:08, Chris Carlen wrote:
> Hi:
>
> It appears Suse 10.1 is available now, while Enterprise Desktop 10 is
> not yet finished?
>
> Which will be better? I recently read this review:
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT4416011461.html

SLED 10 was released Monday, so it's out there (for digital downloads, the
physical shipments will take a bit longer)

It's hard to say which is better. They're based on the same code base, but
they're aimed at different markets. 10.1 is for the home user, it includes
basically everything. SLED 10 is aimed at business users, so a lot of the
more unsupportable stuff has been removed, and there aren't as many games and
things in there

10.1 is supported for the standard 2 years that the Pro version has always
been, while SLED and SLES will be supported for 7 years

If you're thinking of using it for business use, it's probably also worth
noting that you can't get a business support contract for 10.1, while you can
get all levels of contracts for SLED