Re: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:56:21 +0200
On Thursday 20 July 2006 02:42, jdow wrote:
> I hope I misunderstand the goal because the processes you outline are
> far in excess of what might be needed for an internal network.

Oh, I don't know. It took me about 5 minutes to set up, including installing
the packages, since I didn't already have them on my desktop. I don't think
that's excessive

> The packages involved in receiving the email into the mbox email
> in-boxes are simply fetchmail, procmail, SpamAssassin, and Clam-AV
> via the ClamAssassin plugin for SpamAssassin. If you do not want any
> spam filtering the latter two items are not needed.

So you have fetchmail, procmail, and an imap program. I have fetchmail,
postfix (which is there by default anyway) and an imap program.

I didn't consider spam filtering, that should be done on the external machine,
normally

> Fetchmail grabs the email from the each user's accounts on the ISP.
> As it happens I have it setup for two savvy people with several
> email accounts each. We run fetchmail via a little script in each
> user's directory with individual .fetchmailrc files. This took place
> way back in time when this seemed to function better than the global
> fetchmailrc file approach. YMMV. I simply have not fixed what is not
> broken. The important .fetchmailrc for this is simply:
>
> defaults mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d <user>"
>
> Replace <user> with the user ID, of course.

and no config at all for server address, username on the remote server,
password??? There will be at least one more line, I'm sure.

> Procmail can deliver the email to the /var/spool/mail/<user> file
> directly. I place necessary lines for running SpamAssassin (and black
> holing certain email pests.)
>
> Once the email is in the spool file reception is done. Now I have to
> send it to the user. For that I simply use DoveCot. Normally you'd
> simply fire it up and tell it where the spool files live and go. I
> have a somewhat more complex configuration for automating user
> interactive Bayes training for SpamAssassin. Normal mail is fetched
> via POP3S directly from the spool file. Then there are per user mail
> storage directories for IMAPS access to the spam training mail folders.
>
> Note that there is no need to involve more than simply fetchmail,
> procmail, and dovecot for the simplest configuration. I use this simply
> because it allows far simpler access to per user Bayes and rules for
> SpamAssassin. The postfix/cyrus route proved very difficult to build
> into this required configuration.
>
> If the original query was from a fellow who needed to pull email from
> an ISP and then distribute it accessibly on the Internet note that this
> is what I am doing via useage of the POP3S and IMAPS ports. I let them
> be open on the firewall. I do not allow raw POP3 or raw IMAP access
> outside the internal network.

This is of course a valid and usable setup, but I don't think it's that much
less work than my suggestion

And the less I have to do with procmail, the better