Re: [SLE] Smart Update problem
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:45:13 +1000
BandiPat wrote:
On Tuesday 18 July 2006 22:05, Clint Tinsley wrote:
[...]
Now the your mileage may vary. Smart is beta, not final product and
there are some chinks in the armour already showing. First off,
while Smart is like YOU on steroids (or YUM on Fedora), it is
realatively fast but here is its downside. In order to decide
which package update in which repo is best, it downloads tons of
package updates which it "sorts" through and then installs the best
"fit" of packages for your system; this extra downloading comes at a
price of time. Second, Smart has not been consistent in updating
when compared with YOU. Tonight, as an example, YOU had 5 packages
for updating where Smart only knew about 3 of the updates. I used
YOU to update my system. Third, I also have a Fedora Core 5 system
which I tested Smart on; it did not pickup my Livna repo which YUM
does so I am sticking with YUM there. Smart is definitely work in
progress as Beta but you'll want to check it against YOU or YUM
before taking anything to the bank. YOU is working pretty well for
me.

Clint
========

Clint,
If you are comfortable with YUM in Fedora, you might also want to stick with that in SuSE. I have been using KYum recently with the added advantage of YUM from the command line and find it to be quite efficient! I've looked a Smart, but wanted a KDE interface where KYum fits that requirement nicely. I also felt the need to get away from a mono programmed YOU.

YUM seems to be quite a good program for updating. The only thing I wasn't prepared for was that it downloads all the update files first before installing, where YOU does them individually. Otherwise, I'm becoming a YUM convert! :-)

Sorry, I am jumping in in the middle of a thread and haven't read previous postings but happened to read what you said about YOU in this last paragraph.

"Where YOU does them individually." This is something which I find totally mindboggling but then I may not know the full story behind how YOU actually works.

In SuSE prior to 10.1 YOU would download ALL the update packages before applying them to the system. In 10.1 this suddenly changed and the updates are applied as they are received.

This assumes that there will not be an interruption to the transfer process of all the remaining packages. But what would happen if the connection to the internet is terminated?

Packages have dependencies and what happens if a package is downloaded and installed but another one on which it depends is not downloaded because the connection was lost and you have to reboot in the interim because this is the only way to get your connection back?

If YUM, and smart does it too, downloads ALL the packages first before applying them then it is doing the intelligent thing.

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus