Re: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 04:20:38 +0200
> From: "Anders Johansson" <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > On Thursday 20 July 2006 02:42, jdow wrote:
> >
> > I didn't consider spam filtering, that should be done on the external
> > machine, normally
>
> I've been doing this since SpamAssassin 2.3x days. It works. The
> brief digression that involved PostFix (on a Mandrake build just
> before they became Mandrival) was at best a qualified success. The
> spam filtering is done before it gets to the inboxes due to the
> emailer I am using. (I make my money with Windows development for
> broadcast video uses. I telecommute. I'm constantly shipping builds
> to the customer. It's easier if I don't have to change machines. The
> Linux machines enter for security and some fun. But it HAS lead to
> a small inconsequential patch to partition and filesystem handling
> in the Linux kernel. {^_-} Winks and pats self on back, too.)

Cool, you're into Amigas :)

kernel hacking is something I haven't really gotten into. I tried it once, and
managed to hang the whole machine, and I've stayed away from it since. I'll
keep to the user space :)

> It is arcane. However, since I sit right next to the server I played some
> procmail games. When I receive customer email or email from my partner it
> plays different sound files to alert me. It also proved useful before the
> PerMsgStatus.pm bug which caused (partially) scored but unmarked missed
> spam in my mailbox. I simply ran it twice if the first time failed. There
> is an absurd kind of logic to the way you can do that with procmail. I can
> also easily skip spam processing for email from the spamassassin mailing
> lists. That is QUITE helpful. My partner writes some of the SARE rules
> and I also do some SA hacking.
>
> If I was doing simple mail reception I'd still go global fetchmail,
> procmail with a REALLY simple boilerplate to deliver the mail, and
> DoveCot. It'd still take me more than 4 minutes. I have a small case
> of RTFMitis, I tend to read manuals then do when I can. I realize this
> detracts from my reputation. But, gee, I can't help it. And I can't
> find any 12 step programs....

:)

Well, to each her own. That's what's great about linux, there are so many ways
of doing it. Whatever works, and suits your style of working, is good

I still object to the "far more excessive" tag though :)

Anders