Re: [SLE] install a new kernel
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:08:28 +1000
Jacob David wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
Ralph Ellis wrote:
On Tuesday 18 July 2006 11:16, Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Tuesday 18 July 2006 00:50, Basil Chupin wrote:
For the record -and I did put this question to this forum already,
some
weeks back - can you point me to a source which contains in a single,
well explained, list stating which sources have to be used, and which
must not be used or at least may be used but with strong provisos, to
update SuSE 10.1?

A list which shows that for YOU or apt or smart use the following
sources, and if using smart then the TYPE is 'yast2' or 'rpm-sys' or
'rpm-md' or whatever.
Hear, hear... I too get confused with all the URLs and update
schemes
available.
Try

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/

Ralph Ellis
So you reckon that the new kernel, and all the other goodies, there
are OK to use? :-)

According to what Marcus stated in one of the other threads an URL
with "inst-source" in it is OK to use for updates -- so here comes my
addition to my smart channels! :-) .

Cheers.

Under http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/ I can see many folders.
What is the exact difference between SL-10.1 and SL-OSS-factory.

The short answer to your question is: I don't know :-) .

You can do a comparison of the 2 URLs and see what the difference could be but the SL-OSS one has a newer kernel and KDE files which are not on SL-10.1. And seeing as how I always like to run "the latest", I want to install the newer kernel :-) .

BTW, if you want to add the SL-OSS-factory source as a channel in the smart update program then SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/ is type=rpm-md but if you drop the "suse/" from the end then the channel becomes type=yast2. All this comes from one of the people who knows what he is talking about in the smart forum when I asked a question about how to determine the TYPE.

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus