Re: [SLE] Suggestion to improve OpenSUSE by providing only selected package!
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:17:43 -0400
On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 17:52 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 17:46, Mike McMullin wrote:
> > Not really. The sooner he gets beyond what he's used to in Windows,
> > the better off he'll be using Linux. If it's an truly ethos thing,
> > which his argument seems to make, then it applies to any other
> > monolithic OS's as well.
>
> Well, linux is actually a monolithic OS :)

That was Tannenbaum's criticism of the kernel, and he's probably right
about it from a security point of view, but the installer would have to
be heads and shoulders above what it is now to correctly identify and
setup the various modules as either compiled in, or load on call.

> Now, the hurd, on the other hand.....

I haven't read much about it, other then RMS envisioned it, and went
after Linux because Linus had a broader base of contributors.