Re: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:32:02 +0200
On Thursday 20 July 2006 14:33, John N. Alegre wrote:
> Anders,
>
> Thank you.
>
> One last question.
>
> Is it possible to run things as you suggest and have the ability to
> both get mail directly from /var/spool/mail if loged on to the SuSE
> box or retrive it via fetchmail from a remote machine AT THE SAME
> TIME, i.e. logged on I run Kmail and Kmail gets mail
> from /var/spool/mail/user which is put there via SMTP / Postfix or
> that same user retrieves his mail via fetchmail if not logged on with
> Kmail up?
>
> I still want users that log on to the suse box to get mail via Kmail /
> local mail box.

I'm confused, I thought you were talking about IMAP.

The solution I detailed will store all your email in cyrus IMAP, and you can
connect to it to read your email whether you're logged in locally or not
(firewall permitting). The /var/spool/mail storage is taken out of the
equation, and fetchmail is only used for putting things into cyrus, not for
actually reading the email, for that you just connect to IMAP using your mail
client. After all, one of the major points of IMAP is to have the email
stored in one single location, instead of all over the place

But if you really want to keep the /var/spool/mail storage, then the solution
suggested by Joanne would do it for you