Re: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:12:53 +0200
On Thursday 20 July 2006 17:59, mlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> For example, if you want a general service for several
> people, who have the option to log onto the serving
> machine and read mail from there, OR to read their
> mail from other PCs in the building (I'll worry about
> remote webbish access in part 2), then you want fetchmail
> and <whatever goes in the middle> and IMAP server to
> all start and run as processes when the machine boots.
> ... so why does fetchmail have little config files
> for each local user, in each respective home directory,
> and are they even seen if the given user is not logged
> in, and what about mail users who don't have login
> accounts on the server PC? Why _don't_ they need little
> fetchmail config files of their own?

fetchmail has one config file per instance you run. There are basically two
ways of doing it. Either each user sets up fetchmail for his/her own
accounts, and runs a private fetchmail, or the admin of the machine sets up
one central config which fetches all email for all user accounts. It's down
to taste and what suits your exact setup really. Both ways work

> Similar questions about IMAP. And where should the mail
> be going for the IMAP server to handle it, if _some_
> of the users are local login users, but some are
> remote-only and don't have a login account on the
> serving PC?

I suspect that rules out Joanne's solution then, since I don't think that can
handle virtual users (at least I don't think so).

cyrus can though, but in the solution I gave in my other email, it would
require that you create accounts for them, but you can disable logins (set
login shell to /bin/false) if you want.

There are ways of creating purely virtual users without linux accounts too, if
you really want them

> Does IMAP need/expect that all the incoming mail will
> be in one place, or can it handle (say) /data/Maildir
> for the non-local subscribers as well as individual
> ~/Maildir for those who have local login accounts?
> What about that question makes it stupid? :-)

It's not a stupid question. IMAP the protocol doesn't care where the mail is
physically stored, but I don't think I've ever seen an actual IMAP server
that could handle multiple locations (cyrus murder, I guess, in some sense)

> I mentioned Courier because that's what was used in
> the HowTos to which I originally pointed John Alegre.
> No other attraction to it.
> My first-ever attempt at a server was with Cyrus, but
> I tripped over stuff to do with authentication and
> might also have had a generic IMAP trying to run at
> the same time, or maybe Cyrus does like Postfix does
> (when it pretends to be sendmail), and presents an executable
> just called "imap" or "imapd"... does it? After I
> finished installing SUSE 10.1 and blundering through
> the (attempted) mail setup, Xinetd seemed to think
> there was something called imapd, and nothing called
> Cyrus-IMAP... though I think there was a Cyrus-sasl
> daemon (listed in xinetd) that wasn't active... so easily do I confuse.

Neither cyrus imap nor saslauthd are run through xinetd, they are standalone
daemons

> What I'm aiming for is:
<snip requirements>

I didn't say anything about outbound, in your scenario I don't see a reason
why the email client should't connect directly to the external mail server.
But if you want it to go through the postfix server for some reason (security
perhaps), then it's not so hard

Have a look at the description I gave in my other email and let me know if it
matches your requirements