Re: [SLE] SPAM: How to install a really fresh SUSE?
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:46:47 -0600
>From: "Carl William Spitzer IV" <cwsiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 17:33 -0700, The Nice Spider
>>
>wrote:
>
>>>Is this a bug or suse limitation? When I do
>>>
>reinstall
>
>>>SUSE 10.1 I get new
>>>dev/sda6, it's look like SUSE don't delete all
>>>existing partition. I know,
>>>when I choose "expert" thre are 2 option: repair
>>>partition and bootable
>>>partition.
>>>
>>>so, i must boot manually using MS DOS, delete all
>>>partition and reinstall
>>>SUSE :(
>>>
>>Not if the partitions are fine in the other OS, then
>>
>just do a clean
>
>>install and choose custom partitioning, choose
>>
>wisely and just reformat
>
>>and reinstall only /boot / and swap leaving /home(a
>>
>separate partition)
>
>>untouched.
>>

>base on you solution I found that we can do fresh
>installation, follow this
>steps:
>1. choose New Instalation
>2. choose Custom Partition, press next
>3. there is an option here to "Delete entire
>harddisk"!
>
>the bad instruction on installation should be fixed,
>it's "new installation"
>mean "install on existing partition" which make me
>confuse. on other
>os/distro like Redhat/FC, Ubuntu and Windows, "new
>installation" mean
>"delete entire hdd and install new one".
If you wish to use a distribution that assumes you want to do something
as radical as delete all your existing partitions, by all means switch
to one of those. I will prefer to remain with a distribution that
assumes I know best how I want things partitioned, and what mount points
I want each partition to have.

"New installation" means just that... a new installation. It does not
mean "delete all the partitions without regard to any data or user
directories that might exist, then create
OneBigPartitionJustLikeTheOperatingSystemFromRedmond, and finally
install everything onto that, again without regard to the user's wishes".