Re: [SLE] Suggestion to improve OpenSUSE by providing only selected package!
  • From: The Nice Spider <thenicespider@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:24:24 -0700 (PDT)
> On 19/07/06 01:57, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>> Linux is not Windows, it is not like Windows, God
forbid it should ever
>>become like Windows.. Linux is all about choice, and
if you strip out
>>Gnome in favour of KDE only, you eliminate a great
number of
>>applications that many people prefer to use -- and
vice versa.

>>No one is forcing you to use one desktop over
another, one mail server
>>over another, one office suite over another, one
browser or email client
>>over another -- if you do not like the selections
that are suggested to
>>you, simply uncheck those during installation, and
select others.

>>It is all about choice, not forcing someone to use
someone else's notion
>>of the "ideal". The sooner you get your Windows
mentality behind you,
>>the better off you will be using Linux.
>>

> The OP has replied to me privately, writing:
>
>>i think the "pattern" is one of great job in
opensuse,
>>and this "pattern"
>>already implemented! look at SLED. some distro have
>>done this selection
>>yearly ago: Xandos (kde), ubuntu (gnome), kubuntu
>>(kde), fox, etc.
>>also, in Windows u can install any application, i am
>>using Openoffice and
>>Firefox in WinXP while still using OE for mail.
>>You must not remove your Linux mentality but think
>>about combine it with
>>other positive os including: Windows, Solaris, Unix,
>>etc... to produce
>>better os with great usability and acceptable by
>>users, if not acceptable
>>then it's useless.
>>this selection/pattern make us more productive and
>>focus. again, you can not
>>serve 2 master. that's why opensuse team define:
>>must-have, should-have and
>>may-have package.
>>

> A single choice of desktop hardly constitutes a
"pattern" called
> "desktops". A single choice of office suite hardly
constitutes a
> "pattern" called "office suites". If the OP is so
bothered about having
> too much choice in SuSE, then he should pick
whichever distro comes
> closest to his restricted list of personal choices,
and switch to that.
> I hope he will find such a distro that gives him
every choice he wants,
> otherwise he will be bugging that distro's mailing
lists to make massive
> changes to its package selections as he has been
doing here. Good luck
> in finding such a distribution.
>
> Personally, I am quite capable of reading a list of
choices, selecting
> those I do want and rejecting those I do not. I am
quite comfortable in
> knowing that I can install Mozilla right from the
installation source,
> while someone else who prefers Opera can do the
same. Neither of us has
> to run off to some third-party source just because
the distro developers
> all think everyone should be using Konqueror. This
is what a "pattern"
> of selections is all about: when I choose the
"pattern" called "desktop"
> I am presented with a *choice* of desktops, and
asked which one I prefer
> to use. I am not presented with a single choice, and
told... well,
> wait... if there is only a single choice of desktop,
then we can
> dispense with this part and just go straight to
installing it. Same goes
> for the browser, email client, office suite, etc..
there's only one of
> each, if the OP has his way, so why bother even
telling the user
> anything? Just go ahead and install it all.
>
> The OP's own words show just how superior the
current SuSE approach is:
> Ubuntu comes with Gnome, which someone didn't like,
so he took all the
> Ubuntu source tree, changed everything over to KDE,
and sent it out as
> Kubuntu. Someone else needs to come along and make a
new distro out of
> all this, for all the people who don't like either
Gnome or KDE,
> preferring fvwm instead.
>
> We can have real fun with all this: under the OP's
plan, separate
> distributions are needed for each of the following
combinations (pick
> one and only one from each list, including the
possibility of having
> none at all):
>
> a) desktop: Gnome, KDE, fvwm (feel free to add a few
of your own)
> b) office suite: OO, Koffice (add a few here too)
> c)browser: Mozilla/Seamonkey, Firefox, Opera (delete
pattern if using
> KDE, you already have Konqueror)
> d) email agent: (delete pattern if using
Mozilla/Seamonkey or KDE) mail,
> mutt, Thunderbird, Sylpheed
> e) database, with or without any at all: make up
your own list (delete
> pattern if offering an office suite)
>
> Just think how much more fun we can have by adding
in all the possible
> kernel choices (32 or 64 bit, AMD or Intel, PPC,
multiple cores/multiple
> processors), including 2.4 for those who still have
some old hardware
> that the 2.6 kernels no longer recognize. Given the
problems it has
> caused for some, perhaps separate distributions are
also needed for
> kernels with, and without, ACPI support.
>
> Why not just include it all in a single installation
source, Mr Spider,
> and trust that the user has the intelligence needed
to choose which he
> wants, and which he does not? Unless, of course, you
feel the average
> user is not intelligent enough to make such choices.

right, i never say to not include other package, but i
say we better have an
"official" and "extra/optional" package.
in short, this is only example: opensuse will have
gnome as official package
but if user want to install kde then he can do it too.
maybe kde is the
official while gnome is optional. both maybe in single
DVD installation
source, but if using CD the official must put in the
firtsly CD while
optional in other CD, users make decission to d/l
optional cd or not.

so, what is official package meant? this official
package will supported
officially by the opensuse team, and development most
focusses on this
official package. this will make us very fast and
efficient. the idea behind
this is: "we can not serve 2 master at same services".