Re: [SLE] zmd error message at login [Addendum]
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:23:47 +1000
Stephen Boddy wrote:
On Friday 21 July 2006 08:30, michael norman wrote:
On Thursday 20 July 2006 17:52, Stephen Boddy wrote:
On Thursday 20 July 2006 17:06, Basil Chupin wrote:
Ah, OK, understand. I don't use zmd but still have it hanging around in
the system tray.

What happens if you right click on the icon and either QUIT it or
reconfigure its settings? I know that with some icon there (I don't
remember which one) I QUIT on it and it disappeared and I could only
bring it back by selecting the "service" in the Start/System or
wherever it was shown.
You can't access the GUI if the service isn't running. (I never thought
of re-enabling the service temporarily... Doh!) On startup you get an
error, and acknowledging it (click OK) causes the updater to quit, but
still reappear next login. No opportunity to change any config or
anything.

However, by digging I found the solution (as root):

# cd /etc/xdg
# cp -ar autostart autostart.disabled
# rm autostart/zen-updater-auto.desktop

Now when you login the updater won't start. The xdg folder is part of the
fledgling cross desktop compatability standard.
--
Steve Boddy
Worked for me, thanks.

Hmmm. I did an update with smart last night, and part of that was a raft of yast/zmd/libzypp updates. After this update I had to disable the novell-zmd service, and get rid of the icon again. I suppose I should just remove zmd altogether. Any one seen any problems having done this?

Carl Hartung in a msg Subject, "Software updater", dated 17 May in this forum mentioned that he had uninstalled zmd plus a bit more without apparent ill effects, but he did then add it/them back again after doing some updating of the KDE packages.

There was also a suggestion in another thread to uninstall beagle and kerry which appear to slow the system down, and from this I would deduce that taking out zmd, which is only an updater, will not cause problems provided, of course, you have replaced it with another system updater (for example, smart).

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1