Re: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:39:36 +0200
On Thursday 20 July 2006 20:13, mlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> If I run fetchmailconf while logged in as my regular
> user, am I creating one of those ~/fetchmailrc files
> that applies to just my user, or the general fetchmail
> config that applies to all mail (this user or other)?

It creates a fetchmailrc in your home directory. Which users are in it is up
to you, you can stick them all in there, if you have their passwords on the
remote server

> I have a big /data partition, and it would be handy
> if:
>
> a) fetchmail put the incoming mail there for all users
> b) Cyrus-IMAP knew to expect it / keep it there,
> rather than in some other (default?) place like /var/spool

fetchmail delivers to a local mail delivery agent, by default an SMTP server
(postfix), which in turn delivers it to its final destination, in this case
cyrus

if you want cyrus to store things on your /data partition, simply create a
directory there and make /var/spool/imap a symlink to it (make sure you get
the same permissions on your new directory as for the
original /var/spool/imap)

> > I'm assuming either SUSE Linux 10.1 or SLES 10 here (note
> > that in SLES 10 you
> > can do this through the YaST mail server module as well)
>
> I've got SUSE Linux 10.1 (DVD from the boxed set).
> Not SLES.
> I'm sure I recall running a YaST module about
> configuring mail.

Read again. I said *In SLES* you can run a YaST module to do it.

In 10.1, the instructions I posted are enough. My 'howto' expected a fresh
system, with no previous configuration attempts.

> > Then run SuSEconfig --module postfix
>
> Don't think I _ever_ did that explicitly.
> It would've happened when I made changes
> via YaST. But those config options were so
> limited that I (read that I was required to)
> made further config settings later, with pico
> directly on main.cf.

Then no part of my instructions will work, since SuSEconfig will not touch a
file you've edited manually. If you want to do that, you need to study up on
the config settings in main.cf, and things get more complicated at once

> > You now have a working mail/IMAP server.
>
> Really? So, where has the mail been placed?
> Does Cyrus do /Maildir format, MBox, or some other,
> and, if more than one, at what point was it told
> which one... and did fetchmail (or was that Postfix)
> need to be told something different, depending on
> which format Cyrus was going to use?

cyrus stores its mail in /var/spool/imap. It doesn't use maildir, it uses its
own way of storing it, you're supposed to access it through an IMAP capable
email client

> > Step 5: configure fetchmail
> > either manually, if you know the config file syntax, or
> > through the fetchmailconf GUI
>
> I'm not facing it right now, so I can't remember all
> the things that I had to guess what they meant in
> the fetchmail configuration (whether via GUI or editor).

For most configurations, all you need is the address of the remote server, the
username there (and possibly what it should be changed to on the local
server) and the password

> My first step was usually to go to the bottom of a
> config file, to see what YaST might have inserted/appended,
> before trying to figure out what to attempt next.
> Of course, if the bulk of the problem was forgetting
> to run SuSEConfig, then I tweaked a lot of stuff that
> I needn't have done, out of increasing frustration.
>
> > Step 6: run fetchmail
> > If in the config you set it up as a daemon, run it as a
> > daemon, otherwise
> > set up a cron job to run it at regular intervals (not sure
> > how specific I
> > need to be about this step)
>
> Maybe a little more, regarding what the differences
> would have looked like in the fetchmail config file.

There is only one difference really, "set daemon <interval>", which tells
fetchmail to not exit after it's polled the remote server, and to keep
polling every <interval> seconds

You can have a look at "man fetchmail" in the section "DAEMON MODE" for the
details

> Also, can you briefly explain the advantages of either
> choice?

I haven't worked enough with fetchmail to be able to say. The only crucial
difference I can see is that in daemon mode, fetchmail prevents multiple
instances, which might happen if you poll through cron, if the polling takes
longer than the interval

But as I said, I'm not experienced enough with fetchmail to give any more
detailed information

> Assume that if the machine is on, I want fetchmail
> to be checking out my ISP for new mail on my account,
> my wife's account, and at least one other, every ten
> or twenty minutes.
> That can be done with the daemon alive and waking
> itself for a mail run at the specified intervals,
> or with a cron job launching the executable at the
> interval, then killing it after it completes... each
> time?
> Why one or the other, or have I misunderstood?

I would do it as a daemon, but that's just me

If you have any more followups, I'm not sure I'll have time to answer (I'm
moving to Germany this weekend and I'm not sure when I'll be back online), so
I hope others will pick up the thread