Re: [SLE] setting up internal dns and forwarder
  • From: "Mark H. Harris" <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:57:30 -0500
On Monday 24 July 2006 18:03, James D. Parra wrote:
> I'd like to host our own internal DNS server that can serve internal names
> and then forward other requests to an public DNS server. Running Suse 9.3.
hi James,
Setting up a DNS server is relatively easy, and especially if you're using
SuSE. Mine are running well on 9.2; however, its pretty much the same on 9.3
or 10.0 except that where you find the info in the manual may change some.
I have the 9.2 manual open in front of me... chapter 22 Linux in the
Network... you may find the info in your manual (may be on your DVD) at a
different location, but its there. Chapter 22.7 explains in painful detail
how to configure /etc/named.conf and how to setup the zone files
in /var/lib/named (look up DNS in the index of your administration guide)
Page 450-> has info regarding how to setup a DNS using yast. When I setup
mine I was not aware that yast would configure named, so I set mine up
manually following the instructions in chapter 22.
Basically /etc/named.conf contains the "forwarders"; these are the name
servers "outside" that will receive the request if there is no matchup in
your local zones. There are several zone files you will need to setup
in /var/lib/named which will resolve either local names to local addresses,
or addresses to local names. (yes you need both).
The suse admin guide gives several really good examples and the HOWTO also
gives some very good examples. It took me about two hours to setup mine...
cause I'm a little slow (naw, methodical).

--
Kind regards,

Mark H. Harris <><
harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx