[SLE] ntp client -- warning from yast
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:43:52 -0500
using SUSE10, when I went into yast to enable the ntp client, I am
warned about setting it to execute "on boot". The warning says:

"Warning! If you do not have a permanent internet connection, starting
the NTP daemon can take a very long time, and the daemon might not run
properly"

Huh?

So, if I have a laptop, that does not at all times have an inet
connection, basically I should not use the NTP client? Is there any
good way to, once an inet connection IS established, sync time to an
NTP server?

Yast seems to only give "never" and "on boot" as ntp sync options. If
there is a command I can execute from a shell, that would be fine.

Peter