Re: [SLE] ntp client -- warning from yast
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:55:22 -0400
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 9:43 am, Peter Van Lone wrote:
> using SUSE10, when I went into yast to enable the ntp client, I am
> warned about setting it to execute "on boot". The warning says:
>
> "Warning! If you do not have a permanent internet connection, starting
> the NTP daemon can take a very long time, and the daemon might not run
> properly"
>
> Huh?
>
> So, if I have a laptop, that does not at all times have an inet
> connection, basically I should not use the NTP client? Is there any
> good way to, once an inet connection IS established, sync time to an
> NTP server?
>
> Yast seems to only give "never" and "on boot" as ntp sync options. If
> there is a command I can execute from a shell, that would be fine.
One solution is to use profiles. (SCPM).
On my laptop, I have a number of different places where I use it whith
different networks, and some networks have different time servers:
work - wired, time server in intranet.
home - wired and wireless
MIT
Open Wireless for places where I might alternatively take the laptop.

In my case, the profile disables the built-in NIC when using wireless and
vice-versa when wired. I also include /etc/sysconfig/proxy.

You can set up the initial profiles via YaST/System/Profile Manager, and
select the appropriate profile using F3 when booting up (SuSE 10.x).
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group