Re: [SLE] Screen Saver Problem
  • From: PatrickM <mop48836@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:19:20 +0100
BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
<snip>
I am using 10.0 and had problems with the KDE screen savers on my
home system (not a laptop) using an ATI 9200 card.

I got mine to work by disabling the startup of the kdepowersave program. Also, in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file I removed the "DPMS"
line from my monitor section .
Hi,
can't use this solution because of kdepowersave not running... wish to keep it :-)

Here is also another possiblilty from another E-MAIL on the Fedora
list (I have not tried this):

We think it's related to DPMS somehow. Whether your video/monitory
supports dpms, and/or whether your dpms timeouts are earlier (or not)
than your screensaver timeout.
ahh, i just found it. edit ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc and find the stanza
[ScreenSaver]. immediatly below there exist an entry named:
DPMS-dependent
set this to false, logout, login and screensaver works again. sorry, i didn't
had the time to search for the right option in Control Center.
a few days before i just upgraded this machine from fc3 to fc5 and
screensaver (blank screen) works for me. after reading this thread i changed
from blank screen to BSoD and the screensaver didn't start anymore.
hth,
didi

just to say that i tried this Fedora hint, but did not work.
The entry DPMS-dependant did not appear (the stanza is there, though), so i added the entry:
DPMS-dependant=false

After logoff/logon, it didn't work, still no screensaver.

Anyway, if this worked, maybe it would be a hassle to do it for each profile in some cases.

(Found nothing also in /etc/skel for future profiles, but might have checked badly)

So until a fix is released, downgraded (*not* a solution) to the older version, and screensavers back again :-/

If this lack of screensaver with that kdebase3 version is confirmed, may be someone of us should report the bug.

Cheers,
PatrickM