Re: [opensuse] Designing Yast package selector
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:44:47 +0200
Onsdag 26 juli 2006 11:55 skrev Manfred Tremmel:
> First of all, is it planed to replace YaST-Qt with YaST-GTK, or is it
> just another alternate? It was hard enough to lose the YaST
> KDE-Conterolcenter integration and the Qt based SUSE-Watcher. Dropping
> YaST-Qt would be a clear sign for KDE users, they are no longer
> wellcome in the Novell/SUSE universe.

I believe YaST-gtk is a more or less unofficial project as part of Google
Summer of Code.

Don't think it will replace yast-qt in KDE installations - otherwise the
openSUSE-community might diminish rather quickly. Also keep in mind a Qt/KDE
replacement for Zen-updater is being worked on - also under Google SoC.

However I sometimes ask myself if SUSE.. or openSUSE.. is turning
into "two-distros-in-one" .. maybe they should be different products in
bugzilla and maybe we should have an irc-channel for each.

Sounds like I won't be able to help people who'll use YaST-gtk - since it'll
be a completely revised ui.

Martin / cb400f