Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Matthias Hopf <mhopf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 05:58:30 +0200
On Jul 23, 06 22:26:18 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > And here in Europe we do not have Software Patents, that makes it much
> > easier for us. A free implementation of a videocodec which is patented
> > in US, is no problem in Germany, so it's legal here. SUSE want's to

You shouldn't believe that. We *theoretically* don't have software
patents, but we *practically* have.
Ask a lawyer for the gory details.

> Please just use and advocate OGG Vorbis/ OGG Theora.

Don't believe that OGG Vorbis / Theora don't violate software patents.
They probably do (both).

AFAIK it's almost impossible to design a cosinus transfer and motion
compensation based video codec without patent violation.
Snow from the mplayer team might have a better chance, but is in an
early state.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf@xxxxxxx> __ __ __