Re: [opensuse] Re: MiniSUSE project page.
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:46:35 +0300
Hi!

On 7/22/06, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
HG wrote:

> But can it be implemented just by creating number of different
> predefined package selections

this should be possible with the new package management system.

the problem I see is that dependencies are written in rpm's
by dveloppers of the application, not SUSE. So at first this
may be only available for packages homed in the openSUSE
build system :-(

What do you mean? Do you mean that SUSE does not have control over
which packages some other package require and therefore... I don't
know what? Do you mean that the dependencies from average program
created by average developer would very quick introduce all the bloat
back?

What I'm hoping with my proposal is that the SUSE system would be the
same for all installations, but at the installation time you could
more easily change the role of the particular SUSE system you are
installing. After that, many will install more packages and whatever
dependencies those might have need to be handled. But this would be
done with the normal SUSE way (whatever that will be) using the
repositories with all the packages for full SUSE system. Yes, by
starting from minimal installation, you could end up with very bloated
system.

As an example, I'm hoping to build a file server to my home. Now
freeNAS would be perfect OS for that, except that I'd like to have SSH
and HTTP servers there also. Not to talk about lenghty SUSE downloads
(with torrents) happening there and not on the desktop. So I can not
start with freeNAS and as I'm only familiar with SUSE, I'd like to do
it with SUSE. Anyways, this is just one scenario.

--
HG.