Re: [opensuse] Re: MiniSUSE project page.
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:08:53 +0300
Hi!

On 7/9/06, Peter Flodin <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I see that it could be the base of many custom versions of SUSE, a
MythTV SUSE, a thinclient SUSE, router SUSE, etc.

I just installed 10.1 on my VMware as test. This time I wanted to
create a small installation. I'm not exactly a new Linux or SUSE user,
but still I do not know all the packages that I should select in all
cases (there are a few of them). So I was thinking that the
installation gives some predefined selections - so let's test those!

The choices were about these
1) Gnome
2) KDE
3) Minimal X support
4) No X
Not much choices... I chose minimal X support (because, YaST is the
reason why I use SUSE - yes, it can be used from the comman line
also). The end result: I was using more than 800Mb of disk (probably
close to 900). Later on at the installation, I chose the new network
managing system (to see how it works). Suddenly it installed KDE base
libraries. Now after everything is done, I'm already using 1.2Gb of
disk! The bloat is here somewhere!

So, I'm very interested in miniSUSE.

But can it be implemented just by creating number of different
predefined package selections to start from at installation time. You
could have things like:
1) Full KDE
2) Minimal KDE
3) Minimal X with other than Gnome/KDE
4) Home server (nfs+samba+ssh+apache+minimal X)
5) Home server with minimal KDE
6) Old computer
7) Laptop with KDE
8) Old laptop with lightwight X
9) MythTV
10) Thinclient
11) Firewall router
12) ...

That way you would not have to make another distribution of it, but
have the mini-ideas included in the normal SUSE distribution. I think
the integration would be easier, and people the selection would then
be easier to grow according to everybody's needs.
Of course, installation media needs to be rethought. But maybe the
minimal installation packages could be on the first CD and rest on the
other ones. Then give a warning if some "non-mini" is selected that
you need another media or pointer to internet source. And for the
current mini/one-CD/internet-installation, there would be no changes
except having more predefined packages choices.

What do you think?

--
HG.