Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:40:20 +0200
Hi,

Thomas Hertweck schrieb:
> NVIDIA is not responsible for the functionality that was offered in
> YaST. It was a service provided by Novell/SUSE and many users liked it.
> It has been removed in the initial version of SUSE 10.1. This made the
> installation process less comfortable for the user.

Agreed so far.

> So why should I blame NVIDIA for this?

You shouldn't blame NVidia for this, but maybe for something else.

> I don't share your opinion that immediate action was required - a better
> transition would have been possible. Hopefully, we'll see some of these
> problems solved in the long run with the build service offered by Novell.

Thomas, please read this post:

http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2005-October/011317.html

Especially these two sentences:

"I, and others who hold copyrights on portions of the kernel are saying
very clear things about this now, 'proprietary kernel modules are
illegal.'"

"Oh, and at least one major distro has been served with legal papers due
to them shipping closed source kernel drivers, and more are on the way."

Questions:

- Do you know who this guy named Greg KH is and which job at which
company he currently does?

What will you answer him, and out of which position? Isn't the position
of a long-term contributor and copyright holder slightly stronger than
that of a user who doesn't do anything else with Linux than using it?

- Do you know which 'major distro' it is that has been 'served with
legal papers'? Honestly, I prefer not knowing it, and I prefer not
knowing which ones are on the way.

The decision has been made and will not be undone. It has been made
very, very quickly and communicated very, very quickly, which makes me
think that there were really good reasons to do so.

Andreas Hanke