Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:10:27 -0400
On Thursday 20 July 2006 07:19, Per Jessen wrote:
> Per Jessen wrote:
> > Personally, I don't experiment much with
> > distros as I have a production system to look after, so I don't
> > know anything about Ubuntu.
>
> But now I got curious and downloaded Ubuntu 6.06, burned myself a CD
> and began the install - I'm testing SUSE 10.2 Alpha2 on a couple of
> systems anyway, so one test more wouldn't exactly upset my schedule
> :-)
>
> Well, it took about 5secs before my Ubuntu install hit a kernel oops.
> I'm surprised, but not impressed ... (oh, and I did check the CD for
> defects).
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

I too took the bait and downloaded Ubuntu to see what all the noise was
about PJ. Testing on two different machines further confirmed the
fact, this thing is overrated. This has to be one of the slowest,
worst thought out distros available on standard hardware. I have read
articles, as well, flaunting it as a great desktop Linux, over & above
SuSE, but I've yet to determine why. Thing I always find after finally
getting it to boot is it's still Debian. That's not meant to be a cut
on Debian, it's a fine distro, but it's not Fedora, Mandriva or SuSE!
What you find with Ubuntu, you'll find with any Debian based Linux
distro.

As far as APT goes, I'm sure for those that have used it continuously on
a Debian based distro, think it's the best thing since sliced bread,
but I seem to remember the difficulty many had trying to use it with
SuSE. The wailing that went on the regular SuSE mail list could be
heard around the world from failed upgrades and broken systems. Sure
you could get it working, but it was still uncertain what your next
update might end up becoming.

I feel like I partially understand what SuSE is trying to do with the
present offerings, including a crappy mono programmed yast2 that
continues to give problems. That is to bring everything together so
that YUM, Smart & Yast2 all work seamlessly in doing updates, etc. for
the user or administrator. I also do agree with the one poster that
mentioned documentation is very sparse to the point of being
non-existent! I recently setup KYum to use for updating. I did so
because it's QT based and YUM is excellent for rpm type distros, but
trying to find enough documentation to get everything working was a
nightmare. Just through sheer insistence on my part to get away from
zmd, rug, red carpet or whatever that mess is, was I able to figure it
out. I like it!

Thing is, this is not the first time SuSE programs have arrived with
little or no documentation. Without it makes learning how things work
near impossible and difficult for helpful users to offer suggestions on
how to help fix it.

We all have to accept the fact, Novell seems to want to take SuSE in a
different direction. What that direction is, I'm not sure yet. SLES &
SLED 10.0 seem to be praised as some of the best Linux yet. That may
be nice for the business end, but forgetting what made SuSE what it is,
may very well be their weak spot. As with any Linux, SuSE is/was a
community of people wanting to make it the best with some clear
direction. I'm not sure that direction is as clear as it once might
have been.

regards,
Lee