Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:55:01 +0100

Andreas Hanke wrote:
> [...]
> And it's still often considered to be "more free" or "more open", which
> I tend to find rather unfair sometimes.

Is this really what the end user is worried about? I believe that the
typical end user just wants to install a Linux distribution with full
support for all the hardware. I don't think that many users care whether
their modem works because of an open source driver or because of a
closed source driver. It should just work. And I don't believe that many
users want to install a pure open source system without Flash Player,
Acrobat Reader, Java, etc. From my point of view, many people don't care
about open source as long as they can get something for free (free = no
money) and it works for them. That's the experience I've made over the
last couple of years. I didn't come across any SUSE 10.1 installation
without at least some packages of CD 6... We should not discuss the
advantages of open source, I am sure we here on this mailing list are
all aware of it. But we shouldn't forget the other side of the story.

Cheers,
Th.