Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:36:45 +0200

Package management - this is bull - typical developer thinking which has
nothing to do with users.

Well... I am not a developer.. never have been never will be. It's
not my forte. Haven't got a clue what you mean that package
management has nothign to do with users... show me an end user and
I'll show you someone who's never quite happy with the software you
give him/her and wants to go find other stuff that might suit thier
needs.

Call it what you will, package management... finding and installing
applications... I dont' care. The end user.. me, the people I help
install and set up SUSE... want a simple way to find and install
applications. In previosu releases, I set up Synaptic and the newbie
users were happy. They could start one application, and easily
navaigate a simple tree of applications.. around 7500 apps were there
for them to pick from.

I can get a similar setup now in 10.1, but it's much less "fire and
forget" for me. I have to explain the backwards way that SMART works.
Or I have to manually enter each repository into YAST. That sucks
big time. i dont' have time to do that.

I set up a friend on Ubuntu, and he was very happy with how easy
Syanptic was to use, and there was about 16000 apps for him to wade
through. Kept him amused for days. :-)

I repeat though... installing an RPM from a webpage link is very easy
with the new Zen thingy. My new users like the ease with which they
can click and install... it's very painless.

As was said by others in this thread.... something as simple as:
- automatic discovery of other unoffical but popular/approved repositories
- some sanity brought to the interface. The Zen gui just give a HUGE
list of available apps. That's useless. You absolutely need a way of
reducing that view down to something managable - just like YAST does
with the grouping it does. You also need to show the installed
version and the available version in some kind of logical order
(something SMART GUI fails miserably at too).

Functionally, Zen (or whatever it's called) is working better now...
but the UI needs a LOT of work. Especially since it's GTK based... a
broken start to begin with :-(

C.