Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Kunael <kunael4@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:39:02 +0200
> Quality and openSUSE.org are right now the two main strengths of SUSE.
> It is true that SUSE reputation for quality got a little dented with
> the hurried change of package manager in 10.1, but I suspect Novell
> might well have learned a lesson there.

I think that a big TI company as Novell should know it before. Before than
"10.1" lesson, of course.

> I don't personally use YaST much other than for installing the odd
> package, and the only thing I might be missing is support for JFS at
> installation time. Why don't you list what you'd like to see in YaST
> in the future? What functionality you're missing right now etc. I'm
> sure that would be great, much-needed input for the SUSE guys.

Yes, you've got a reason.
Specially the front-end/module for iptables/SuSEfirewall is really poor
(IMHO).

> Interesting question. Perhaps another question to start with - _is_
> Ubuntu more popular than SUSE? What is this based on? In which
> community/country etc? Personally, I don't experiment much with
> distros as I have a production system to look after, so I don't know
> anything about Ubuntu.

Well, the prestigious site www.distrowatch.com says it. Moreover in short time
Ubuntu has taken market quota from another distros as Mandriva, Fedora, SUSE.
I work with computers and in many environments (specially in education
environment) Ubuntu is the first choice in front of mentioned distros;
besides the Ubuntu communty is very very large!!!