Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: "Chuck Payne" <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 05:46:49 -0400
On 7/20/06, Kunael <kunael4@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm completely agree with you. An add one more: I've got the feeling that one
mistake has been try to include more than enough things. So, we've several
examples (IMHO), such as:

- Packet management. YaST (packet manager module), YUM, Smart, APT4RPM,
Kick.. ¿are really needed all of these? Sometimes I feel it as a joke. I
think the way is concentrate the efforts in _ONE_ package management
solution.

- YaST. Without any kind of doubts, YaST has been, is and will the main
strengh of SUSE. So... ¿Is it recieved the needed atention and developing
improvement? Personally, I don't see a great improvements since 8.2/9.0
versions.

I repeat: IMHO. Obviously I appreciate sincerely the efforts of developers
(SUSE team and contributors from community) but there're things to improve.

So, I throw a hard question to resolve:

¿Why Ubuntu is more popular tha SUSE despite thier young life?

Maybe the response of that question can help the grow and improving of our
community.

Ubuntu, see to be popular because it debain base and easy to use
apt-get anything. A it the coolest thing. I know that most of the
people my office like Ubuntu because unlike Debian which seem to be
three years behind, Ubuntu all cutting edge.

I have love suse since jumping from Turbolinux, Slackware, and RedHat.
I been on since 5.3

I think Yast is the best manage system out there, better than another
out there.
--
Command, n.:
Statement presented by a human and accepted by a computer in