Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:23:47 +0200
Kunael wrote:

> - YaST. Without any kind of doubts, YaST has been, is and will the
> main strengh of SUSE.

Quality and openSUSE.org are right now the two main strengths of SUSE.
It is true that SUSE reputation for quality got a little dented with
the hurried change of package manager in 10.1, but I suspect Novell
might well have learned a lesson there.

> So... ¿Is it recieved the needed atention and developing improvement?
> Personally, I don't see a great improvements since 8.2/9.0 versions.

I don't personally use YaST much other than for installing the odd
package, and the only thing I might be missing is support for JFS at
installation time. Why don't you list what you'd like to see in YaST
in the future? What functionality you're missing right now etc. I'm
sure that would be great, much-needed input for the SUSE guys.

> ¿Why Ubuntu is more popular tha SUSE despite thier young life?

Interesting question. Perhaps another question to start with - _is_
Ubuntu more popular than SUSE? What is this based on? In which
community/country etc? Personally, I don't experiment much with
distros as I have a production system to look after, so I don't know
anything about Ubuntu.

/Per Jessen, Zürich