Re: [opensuse] Expanding disk space for an LVM
  • From: "Yu Safin" <calanet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:41:52 -0400
On 7/13/06, Dominique Leuenberger <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

See http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/410
It IS possible to resize EXT3 FS without unmounting. But be prepared to
have a backup, just i case

Dominique

>>> calanet@xxxxxxxxx 07/13/06 4:37 PM >>>
I have a server that cannot be easily scheduled to come down.
In there, I have an LVM over serveral external disks that has become
full (df -kP).
Using yast2, I added new volumes to the volume-group.
I need now to expand one of the mount-points that is defined as ext3.
How can I do it without having to umount/mount the mount point?
is there such a thing as a resize_ext3?

I think the table is wrong. I know for a fact that xfs, jfs and
reiser can be resized while MOUNTED. The problem is with ext2 and
ext3.
I learned there is a utility named resize2fs and ext2resize. Also, e2fsadm.
http://ext2resize.sourceforge.net
has anybody have much experience resizing while ext2/3 files systems
are on-line?