[opensuse] kernel-default != kernel-source
  • From: Sven Jacobs <sven.jacobs@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:40:03 +0200
Hi everyone,

just upgraded the kernel-default package to version 2.6.16.20-1.1.
Unfortunately the kernel-source package extracted the src
into /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.20-20.1. This is a problem for several third party
programs which try to determine the src path by the running kernel (name).

Though I was able to hint the NVIDIA installer to the correct src path, it's
not possible for me to install the VMware-Player. This is the output if
vmware-config.pl:

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Player is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.16.20-20.1-default) does not
match
your running kernel (version 2.6.16.20-1.1-default). Even if the module were
compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

--snip--

How do I fix this? Why is the kernel name not identical to the src path name?

Thanks!

--
Sincerely
Sven Jacobs