Re: [opensuse] New drpmsync Version available
  • From: Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:04:53 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 03:01:41PM +0200, Robert Schiele wrote:

No, I don't need. If Novell insists in keeping all of the vital
infrastructure of the openSUSE project prorietary

drpmsync isn't proprietary. Stop spreading nonsense.

"keep infrastructure proprietary" means just your damned file list that you seemed to refuse to put "on disk".

and you exploit that fact
refusing to keep the discussion on a senseful level by not providing arguments
for your opinions then I should most likely opt out at this point. In that
case every further minute I invest here seems to be a complete waste of time
and I should prefer investing that time in preparing my move to Vancouver.

Sure, if that suits you better, go ahead.

What you're saying is like "the rsync server should put the contents
on disk".

Whoever puts it there. It should be visible through traditional protocols like
rsync to support mirrors that do not run drpmsync _without_ the need to
contact a single point of failure server before.

You didn't get my point: I said that arguing that drpmsync should put
its filelist on disk is like saying that rsync should put its (i.e.
rsync's) internal file list on the disk.

If rsync's internal file list could help other standard tools to fulfill a better service, this would be a good idea.

The main problem with this is just that the data is outdated if
there's an update just running, so you'll get a lot more errors
about missing files than when the filelist is generated on the fly.

So please talk to Christoph & friends about adding the whole drpmsync directory into the already existing rsync push service.
This way, each single change would get propagated to the mirror servers instantly.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx, em@xxxxxxx)