Re: [opensuse] New drpmsync Version available
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:01:41 +0200
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 02:20:23PM +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 12:58:47PM +0200, Robert Schiele wrote:
> > It would be a very good idea if you argued why you think this is a bad idea.
> > Just postulating this does not really convince me.
>
> Actually I don't need to convince you. You need to convince me.

No, I don't need. If Novell insists in keeping all of the vital
infrastructure of the openSUSE project prorietary and you exploit that fact
refusing to keep the discussion on a senseful level by not providing arguments
for your opinions then I should most likely opt out at this point. In that
case every further minute I invest here seems to be a complete waste of time
and I should prefer investing that time in preparing my move to Vancouver.

So you might want to think about how to communicate effectively. I confess
that I might be wrong sometimes in my opinion but as long as you don't tell me
_why_ you think I am wrong, I have to assume that I am not. Playing "You are
wrong but I won't tell you why, guess again!" was something I did stop a short
time after I left the kindergarden.

> > Actually the contents file as shipped from the drpmsync server is an index
> > over the repository. So what's actually wrong with shipping it _with_ the
> > repository. I mean you are also shipping repository meta data although they
> > could be provided by a proprietary protocol server as well.
>
> What you're saying is like "the rsync server should put the contents
> on disk".

Whoever puts it there. It should be visible through traditional protocols like
rsync to support mirrors that do not run drpmsync _without_ the need to
contact a single point of failure server before.

> I just changed the format of the on-disk filelist. It now includes
> an id and a md5sum. Please update to the current svn version.
> It now also supports on-disk filelist gzip compression.

That's fine. Now we still need to _have_ this file somewhere on the disk to
make use of that.

> (As you can see I'm working in your direction, so that we can
> easily add a drpmsync.filelist file)

Very good. Now if you could provide arguments for your opinions on a regular
basis this could make discussions much less annoying.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele Tel.: +49-621-181-2214
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker mailto:rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx