Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] REMINDER: openSUSE Status Meeting 2006/07/04 18:00 CET (16:00 GMT)
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 18:53:44 -0500
jdd wrote:
> Rajko M wrote:
>
>> The point was on "base for ideas".
>> Look MicroSUSE "To do" list, it seems to be the right thing for
>> underpowered systems. Todays embedded system has power of yesterdays PC.
>> So there will be a well of ideas how to shrink standard SUSE.
>
> embedded are ROM, thus no install :-)
>

>> The size that I look for is more large Mini than real Micro :-)
>
> the first idea is to have a very minimal system installed (text mode
> with yast).
>
> once passed the install problem, it could be possible to find a way to
> install every wanted thing. Xfce is a very good candidate. but even kde
> works
>
> we can sometime afford to be slow, the install problem is that it don't
> install at all :-(
>
> jdd

Embedded was ROM once upon a time.
The iPod is embedded system, and you can write fine all over. There is
even project that is replacing original software (firmware) with
something similar to MicroSUSE:

http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

I really don't want to go from scratch with MicroSUSE, not for this
project. What I have in mind is the same as you, to analyze installation
and see if it can work with lesser memory. It has to, if Knoppix can run
on 96MB, SUSE must be able to install and run even from lesser with
swap, just good selection of software.

BTW, that is the reason I would like to call it MiniSUSE. It is SUSE and
if you want install all standard software from normal repositories, with
standard tools. The only change I would like to see would be to make
some software available in smaller configurations, stripped of some
aesthetic and seldom used functionality, to de-bloat it. The SLICK was
about much more changes. You can see this in page history.

--
Regards,
Rajko.