Re: [opensuse] Talking at a LUG
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 14:16:28 +0200 (MEST)

>> * What should I tell them about SUSE?
>
>And.. since it's a LUG - in my experience they largely consist of people who
>are mentally stuck in circa '94-'95. So I would devote a lot of time to
>killing off SUSE myths, like:
>"it's extremely slow"

This one remains, esp. when locate (this has been turned off already) and
beagle (this one not) run after first boot. It even remains when
considering something else, desktops. Take a wall clock and measure the
time a computer needs to boot, login and start 'cmd' under XP, and use the
same hardware specs to do the same for linux, some wm and 'xterm'. Try the
same within VMware, which caches away a lot of useless disk access, so you
mainly see the processing wall time.

Jan Engelhardt