New install while keeping /home
  • From: Dirk Gorissen <dgorissen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:47:15 +0200
Hello,

A simple question really, and one that gives lots of google results but always
without the details.

I have 10.1b8 installed and want to reinstall using 10.1RC3 (I dont want to
simply update to factory). I have a separate /home partition which I dont
want yast to touch.
NB: user config will stay exactly the same (just one user, me).

My question:
- Is selecting the mount point of /home to point to my home partition during
install enough (and setting format to off of course)? Can I trust yast to
leave my existing /home/dgorissen alone?
OR
- should I first rename /home/dgorissen to /home/dgorissen.bak, do the
install, let yast create a new /home/dgorissen and then after installation
replace the new one with the backup version?
OR
- ?

Any gotchas I need to be aware of? (like keeping my passwords etc?)

Maybe a "use existing home partition" switch during install would be nice? :)

Many thanks,
Cheers
Dirk

--