Re: [SLE] New install while keeping /home
  • From: David Wright <david.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:56:10 +0200
Am Montag, 1. Mai 2006 13:47 schrieb Dirk Gorissen:
> Hello,
>
> A simple question really, and one that gives lots of google results but
> always without the details.
>
> I have 10.1b8 installed and want to reinstall using 10.1RC3 (I dont want to
> simply update to factory). I have a separate /home partition which I dont
> want yast to touch.
> NB: user config will stay exactly the same (just one user, me).
>
> My question:
> - Is selecting the mount point of /home to point to my home partition
> during install enough (and setting format to off of course)? Can I trust
> yast to leave my existing /home/dgorissen alone?
> OR
> - should I first rename /home/dgorissen to /home/dgorissen.bak, do the
> install, let yast create a new /home/dgorissen and then after installation
> replace the new one with the backup version?
> OR
> - ?
>
> Any gotchas I need to be aware of? (like keeping my passwords etc?)
>
> Maybe a "use existing home partition" switch during install would be nice?
> :)
>
> Many thanks,
> Cheers
> Dirk

I am about to put RC3 on today, but in the previous Beta's 10.1 has always
suggested the /home partition, but specified it for formatting! Just go into
the partitioning tool and change it from format partition to leave the
partition as it is...

--
"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing