Re: [SLE] New install while keeping /home
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:21:52 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2006-05-01 at 13:47 +0200, Dirk Gorissen wrote:

> My question:
> - Is selecting the mount point of /home to point to my home partition during
> install enough (and setting format to off of course)? Can I trust yast to
> leave my existing /home/dgorissen alone?

Yes, unless there appears a bug in yast.

> OR
> - should I first rename /home/dgorissen to /home/dgorissen.bak, do the
> install, let yast create a new /home/dgorissen and then after installation
> replace the new one with the backup version?

Another posibility.

Both methods work. System will be the same, the difference will be for
users. The only problem use to be when some programs have "problems" with
their old user files or configs in $HOME. Difficult to predict, but
perhaps it may happen with kde, gnome, or some app.

Another posibility is to create new home, and then copy only selected
needed files; it means reconfiguring most of the desktop again.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson