Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:53:53 -0400
On Saturday 29 April 2006 6:23 pm, James Knott wrote:

> No, I'm saying planes often fly with less than a full tank, when it's
> not needed to fly to the destination. If a plane takes of with a full
> tank of fuel, when only half a tank is sufficient, then they're carrying
> all that fuel at great expense and may also decrease available payload.
> Don't forget, fuel consumption depends on weight, so if they carried
> far more fuel than they needed, they'd burn significanly more fuel to
> carry it. In that Gimli Glider incident, they goofed in calculating how
> much fuel they needed.
One reason that prop planes often fly with less than a full tank has to do
with weight and balance. Every aircraft is certified for a maximum gross
weight. The weight is very important at takeoff, and at the altitude of the
airfield (Actually density altitude). The pilot must take into account the
empty weight of the aircraft, the weight of the crew and passengers, the
baggage and cargo, the fuel, and the density altitude. I once crashed a
helicopter while landing on a mountain top because we were too heavy.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group