Re: [SLE] New install while keeping /home
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:12:16 +0200
On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 13:47 +0200, Dirk Gorissen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A simple question really, and one that gives lots of google results but always
> without the details.
>
> I have 10.1b8 installed and want to reinstall using 10.1RC3 (I dont want to
> simply update to factory). I have a separate /home partition which I dont
> want yast to touch.
> NB: user config will stay exactly the same (just one user, me).
>
> My question:
> - Is selecting the mount point of /home to point to my home partition during
> install enough (and setting format to off of course)? Can I trust yast to
> leave my existing /home/dgorissen alone?
> OR
> - should I first rename /home/dgorissen to /home/dgorissen.bak, do the
> install, let yast create a new /home/dgorissen and then after installation
> replace the new one with the backup version?
> OR

I am always cautious. So I do not make/use any /home partition. I let
the install make a /home directory in the / partition. Then, when I see
that all is OK, I mount my real /home partition over the new one. Of
course, this is not strictly needed. But I do not want to loose my real
home. So I 'hide' it from the install. Call me suspicious.

> - ?
>
> Any gotchas I need to be aware of? (like keeping my passwords etc?)

Passwords have nothing to do with this. You will need to add the users
to the new install no matter. To make life easier, I would give them the
same uid and gid. Also, adding all the users when /home is not your real
partition lessens any risks in this area. Once again, I and a suspicious
guy.

> Maybe a "use existing home partition" switch during install would be nice? :)

If you select your /home partition in the install and tell the install
to not format it, all should be fine. I just do my silly steps above
because the /home partition it to precious to play Russian roulette
with.

--
Roger Oberholtzer