Re: [SLE] How to read and rewrite DV files from camcorder?
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:54:49 -0500
On 4/30/06, M. Fioretti wrote:
Greetings,

I have several DV tapes, both mine and borrowed from relatives. Many
are only partly full, or I only want to save part of their content. I
would like to "consolidate" all the video in the original DV format as
is on tape on the smallest possible number of tapes.

In that way I would have all the "source" and could start editing them
in a second moment, always keeping the master DV video available.

I have a JVC camcorder which works with SUSE 10 (I've already loaded
movies in kino from it) via IEEE1394.

What I want to do is:

1) copy all the raw video, without any transcoding, from camcorder to
hard disk

2) when disk is full, copy all raw video from disk to empty tape in
the camcorder

repeat 1-2 until I've copied all the tapes.

Is it possible to do this from suse? The ideal solution would be
something semiautomatic, which stops saving to disk when there is no
more video in the tape in the camcorder, but any solution is OK.

TIA,
Marco

I can not help you if you need fully automatic solution. But you
should know, that DV format is pretty easy to deal with. You can use
kino to split long files, or you can just concatenate (with cat) files
to the desired length. kino can write to the camcorder as well.

Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a
2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
  • No further messages