Re: [SLE] Changing hardware IRQ's
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 10:06:05 -0500
On Sunday 30 April 2006 1:16 pm, Sunny wrote:
> On 4/30/06, S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > keep it at 5 anyway. Again, don't bother. Unless there is a known
> > conflict you can actually 'prove' is happening because sound and eth0
> > are sharing an IRQ it doesn't matter. It used to matter about 10 years
> > ago...
>
> Ok, lets say I have "proven" problem. Actually the problem is with the
> mobo and the chipset (it is SiS, and there are some problems), but I
> guess if I can move the sound on another irq, it'll work ... so,
> what's the way to change the assigned irq by the driver/kernel?
>
> Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Changing an IRQ like that has to be supported in the BIOS. On your system
that could be either the embedded soundcard's IRQ or the NIC's PCI slot
IRQ. If there isn't support in the BIOS for changing a specific piece of
hardware's IRQ then your choice is to have the BIOS changed. So either you
or someone else or Compaq or SiS must 'fix' the BIOS or work the
driver/kernel idea.

Have you tried acpi=off? Is there a setting for 'PnP OS' in your BIOS
(should be set to 'Not a PnP OS' for Linux)? Do you have options for
different APIC settings in the BIOS such as 1.0 versus 1.1. or whatever and
have you tried them?

The problem may not be IRQ related. It could be that ACPI support is flakey
for your mainboard and not providing enough information for drivers to
differentiate all the hardware into unique PCI IDs. The correct PCI bus#,
PCI slot#, position on PCI bus, IRQ, I/O pot, etc may not be correct. That
could eventually be fixed by driver/kernel updates. SUSE used to have
information about dumping APCI data and sending it to them to try to get
these types of things fixed... can't find it now that bugzilla is
available! I'll keep looking...

Stan