Re: [SLE] Changing hardware IRQ's
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 10:39:22 -0500
On 5/1/06, S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Changing an IRQ like that has to be supported in the BIOS. On your system
that could be either the embedded soundcard's IRQ or the NIC's PCI slot
IRQ. If there isn't support in the BIOS for changing a specific piece of
hardware's IRQ then your choice is to have the BIOS changed. So either you
or someone else or Compaq or SiS must 'fix' the BIOS or work the
driver/kernel idea.

Asus does not offer updates for "custom" boards they make for OEMs.
Compaq does not have newer bios either :(

Have you tried acpi=off? Is there a setting for 'PnP OS' in your BIOS
(should be set to 'Not a PnP OS' for Linux)? Do you have options for
different APIC settings in the BIOS such as 1.0 versus 1.1. or whatever and
have you tried them?

PnP is off in BIOS. ACPI=off does not allow boot at all, it freezes.
noapic and nolapic settings does some weird things to the overall
performance. It makes the ping timeout for the onboard NIC from the
machine to the router, or any other machine on my network to become
500+ ms, while if I do not use noapic or nolapic, it is 0.5 ms. I
assume that it completely messes up the IRQs if I disable APIC. And
... it does not help the sound problem at all. I guess this is a
kernel/driver problem, so maybe I should post on some kernel list.

Anyway, it does not answer the OP question - is there a way to make
the kernel to assign a specific IP to a device.

The problem may not be IRQ related. It could be that ACPI support is flakey
for your mainboard and not providing enough information for drivers to
differentiate all the hardware into unique PCI IDs. The correct PCI bus#,
PCI slot#, position on PCI bus, IRQ, I/O pot, etc may not be correct. That
could eventually be fixed by driver/kernel updates. SUSE used to have
information about dumping APCI data and sending it to them to try to get
these types of things fixed... can't find it now that bugzilla is
available! I'll keep looking...

Please do. I tried as well, but still can not find it.

Stan

Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a
2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.