Re: [SLE] New install while keeping /home
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 16:03:11 -0400
into electronic streams flowing thru the cosmos On Monday 01 May 2006
10:39 am, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Monday 01 May 2006 7:47 am, Dirk Gorissen wrote:
> > My question:
> > - Is selecting the mount point of /home to point to my home
> > partition during install enough (and setting format to off of
> > course)? Can I trust yast to leave my existing /home/dgorissen
> > alone?
>
> The simple answer is YES as others have said. I have done this many
> times. Once you have chosen your mount points, simply make sure that
> the /home file system is not selected to be formatted. The default
> for existing partitions is generally not to format.
>
> One thing I do before installation is to either print out my
> /etc/fstab, or simply list what file systems are on each physical
> disk/partition. In my case at home I have my /home, /usr/local and
> several other file systems maintained separately that I do not
> format.
There is also the idea that you *might* want to make a printout of
backup of your Xorg setup. i.e
/etc/X11/XF86Config and
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
if only for comparison .. you could print them as well.. but IIRC the
the Xwindow settings are almost always difficult to get right unless
you see the damned thing a few tines.And it couldn't hurt, as others
have said just to have it backed up.. OF course if the video card has
changed or it's just one that took a lot of tweaking to get
"right" ( that is in the eye of the beholder )

Yast has got very good at setting up w/ used to be trials and
tribulations for many of us..
"There's a woman goin' crazy on Caroline Street Stoppin' every man that
she does meet
Sayin' if you'll be gentle if you'll be sweet I'll show you my place on
Caroline Street" Song lyric

< Previous Next >