Re: [SLE] Changing hardware IRQ's
  • From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 18:45:51 -0400
On Monday 01 May 2006 6:32 am, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> On 29/04/06 07:21, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> > I have a 9.2 system here where the network card(Realtek 8139) and the
> > on-board sound have the same IRQ.
> If either of the devices is a busmaster, then it should not matter if
> they share the irq. One of my network cards is a busmaster, and my sound
> card, both network cards, and USB are all on the same irq with no problems.
> > Would moving eth0 to a different PCI slot help?
> If it is a busmaster, the preferred place is in slot 0.

I have a laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1000) with apparent IRQ conflicts, but I
obviously can't move cards around -- and on this particular machine, the
brain-damaged BIOS has no facilities for tinkering with IRQs. The symptom is
peculiar: KDE hangs on bootup if my network wireless card is inserted and
runs fine if it isn't. But if I insert the card once KDE has started, both
KDE and networking are happy.

Paul