Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans! (Japanese)
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 19:47:24 -0400
At 04:04 PM 5/1/2006 -0700, Lew Wolfgang wrote:

>Nick Zentena wrote:
>> On Monday 01 May 2006 18:49, Lew Wolfgang wrote:

/snip/

The above message didn't come in Japanese (or whatever)
characters. It was received in XP, by Eudora, with
which I've never had the problem. Since the problem
surfaced, a few days ago, there have been at least
10 messages that showed up in KMail in this strange font.
One of them was something _not_ from the list, which I
really wanted to read. (It was from the NY Times, and
was certainly not written in an Asian font.)

Unless someone can come up with an answer to this
goofy situation, I am forced to go back to my favorite
email program--Eudora--and not fool with Linux again, since
my major use of the OS is for email. (I do use the
Open Office programs, but usually in conjunction with
email.)

This would be too bad. I really don't trust M/S not to
screw me badly, one way or the other, but I need to
be able to reliably read the email that comes to me.

To reiterate the situation, 97% of the email comes
readable. Perhaps 3% comes in Japanese(?) font, even tho
sent in Roman characters. That computer is a Fry's, with
a Pentium 4, probably about 2 GHz (I don't remember), a
Sony CRT, and SuSE 10.0 Professional. Both computers
receive the Internet from a Linksys BEFXS 4-port wired
router, connected to a cable system via their interface.

This computer is an Asus P4PE mobo, home brewed for
peripherals. I don't have any problem with it, except that
the Linux I installed on it cannot download emails!
I think it will connect to the net, I don't remember,
since I bought a machine to dedicate to Linux. I seem to
remember that the video system on here is not happy with
SuSE, or vice versa.

[A few days ago, I complained that the printing was
scrunched together on the Fry's machine. Now I suppose it's
mad at me, so it prints in Japanese. These characters
don't seem to be scrunched together. Oh well....]

Baffled--

doug