Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans! (Japanese)
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 18:14:30 -0600

> At 04:04 PM 5/1/2006 -0700, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
> >Nick Zentena wrote:
> >> On Monday 01 May 2006 18:49, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
> The above message didn't come in Japanese (or whatever)
> characters. It was received in XP, by Eudora, with
> which I've never had the problem. Since the problem
> surfaced, a few days ago, there have been at least
> 10 messages that showed up in KMail in this strange font.
> One of them was something _not_ from the list, which I
> really wanted to read. (It was from the NY Times, and
> was certainly not written in an Asian font.)
> To reiterate the situation, 97% of the email comes
> readable. Perhaps 3% comes in Japanese(?) font, even tho
> sent in Roman characters. That computer is a Fry's, with
> a Pentium 4, probably about 2 GHz (I don't remember), a
> Sony CRT, and SuSE 10.0 Professional. Both computers
> receive the Internet from a Linksys BEFXS 4-port wired
> router, connected to a cable system via their interface.
> [A few days ago, I complained that the printing was
> scrunched together on the Fry's machine. Now I suppose it's

I have a friend that when he types <Shift>-i repeatably his fonds change
to some oriental font. From then on everything is in this font. We think
it is chinese, but it maybe japanese. The only solution we have found is
to turn-off the computer. A restart fixes the font. This is also in
email. Once he reboots he is able to read everything in english. Even
the email that suddenly changed to the oriental font. It takes anywhere
from one to 50 <Shift>-i. All he wants is a capital I. Anyone heard of
this problem? Any ideas on fixing it? I thought you would like to know
of another similar problem.

Good Luck,

- --
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>