Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:00:27 +0100
On 02/05/06, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

Am Dienstag, 2. Mai 2006 10:23 schrieb Kevin Donnelly:
> On Monday 01 May 2006 20:48, Chuck Davis wrote:
> > Why GNOME has garnerred the corporate
> > support it has is a mystery to me.
>
> I think it's something to do with the fact that a lot of GNOME is LGPL now,
> so it's easier to tie proprietary stuff to it. I find this amusingly
> ironic, seeing that de Icaza started GNOME because the then-Qt license
> wasn't "free" enough ....

And SuSE 10.1 did not want to supply any kernel-tainting stuff anymore. What
else then tainting is putting non-OSS stuff into (L)GPL code? If one does not
want to have non-OSS bits in an OSS environment, then LGPL is not really what
one wants to supply, as it encourages to use non-OSS bits.

Sven

There is a printed promise by Greg Mancusi-Ungaro (he directs Linux
and open source marketing at Novell) in the latest Linux Format
magazine (LXF 80 - it'll be on UK newsagents shelves in a day or two).
In it he states:

"SUSE has always included both KDE and Gnome and will continue to
support both, as will our enterprise products going forward. It's
been challenging for us to work with partners in a way that's
rational, but we've decided that in the next generation of our
enterprise products, Gnome will be the default desktop. But we will
continue to ship and support KDE, for a number of reasons."

There is a bit more on the subject where he does state that SuSE will
encourage software writers/designers to code specifically for Gnome if
they are unsure of which desktop to go for. They will not discourage
writers of KDE software though. It is claimed that the Gnome
preference is purely for clarification for the community and the
hardware/software vendors for which desktop SuSE will certify their
products on.

Now, I read into that the inference that SuSE/Novell are listening to
the Linux community as to which desktop they are putting as default. Note I said the Linux community and not the SuSE community. I get a
feeling - I may be wrong - that they are relying on the goodwill of us
in the SuSe users camp of sticking with SuSE come what may. I think
they are hoping to attract the likes of staunch Fedora users over to
using SuSE and so swelling the user base that way.

If you look at my previous posts on this subject you'll see tht I have
changed my ideas a little from the past. I am now starting to think
that SuSE will actually begin to push Gnome over and above KDE in the
near future. If this happens I truly believe it will be a big
mistake.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay