Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!(now going OT)
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:27:00 +0100
On 01/05/06, Wendell Sexson <jwsthree@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would be willing to bet that public transport is
more practicable and reliable in the UK than it is
where I live (Los Angeles). It will have to be
improved.

In the big cities it is excellent. These are the places that have
loads of cycle lanes or people could indeed walk. Out in the country,
where I live, more and more buses and trains are being taken off the
timetable. A few years ago you could walk to the end of my street, go
a few more yards round the corner and catch a bus within 20 minutes to
the nearest town. That sort of public transport encourages use. Yes,
it was used to the point where you could often not get a seat. Today,
you are lucky if a bus comes by within an hour. There is no shelter
so this is not ideal for the elderly or disabled. Where there are
shelters, by the way, idiots have this ingrained need to vandalsie
them :-( Now, I said you were lucky if that bus came within an hour. Well, you are very lucky if the bus comes at all. My daughter lost a
job due to very poor public transport.

I recently helped conduct a survey - I used SuSE for much of the
paperwork - of many aspects of village life. Transport was one them. Nobody trusts public transport to turn up here.

I know it's a different story in Australia as I used the buses every
day and they were like clockwork.

If employers do not give leeway for being late due to
public transport delays they will no longer have any
employees. Employers here have to give leeway for
being late due to traffic congestion because it is all
but impossible to avoid getting stuck in traffic
sometimes (frequently, even). Things will adjust to
what is unavoidable.

It will have to do so over here too.

I am going by the assumption that automobile use as
the primary means of personal transportation will
become uneconomical for the majority of people, even
in the wealthiest countries, in the coming decades. I
may be mistaken. Perhaps developments in so called
"alternative energy" will make it so that the majority
will still be able to just barely afford driving. We
shall see.

There are alternatives but one is branded a conspiracy theorist if you
so much as hint at the oil companies perhaps keeping them quiet. There is no reason why we shouldn't have safe engines running on
water. There is no need to have a tank of highly flammable hydrogen
gas (from the split H20) as it can be split in small quantities and
fed into the engine that way. Bearings can be made that are magnetic
and far, far more friction free (and energy sapping) than the present
metal type. Heat energy from braking can also be harnessed and poured
back into automotive power. These are nothing new, they are not
science fiction but they simply do not get implemented.

I do believe that the average member of the public could still have
their own private transport in 100, 200 years time. Could being the
operative word. There are, of course, other reasons why private
travel might want to be curtailed.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay