Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:37:39 +0100

The Tuesday 2006-05-02 at 09:42 +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:

> Ok, now to ask the obvious. Why should a particular country change
> its long held, tried and tested method of measurement? Good grief the
> Industrial Revolution came about with a myriad of different sizes. Some of
> these were often so local that moving from one county to
> another meant that nuts made, eg. here in Staffordshire would not fit
> a bolt made in Warwickshire. Yet the modern world came about despite
> this mix and match arena :-)
>
> Leave things as they are, it works.

Not if you try to put a nut made in, say, France or Spain, to a bolt made
in Britain :-P

It's the same problem, but on a different scale.

To be fair though an engineer would not be doing that. He/she would
have the nuts and bolts supplied from one vendor and guaranteed to go
together. Unlike a hobbyist engineer (such as we are) who may well
have a load of tins, jars, other receptacles full of odd nuts, bolts
washers etc. It is a problem for us unless we go out and buy new
parts. It's a bit like trying to get a Windows program to run on
Linux. We use WINE (or Crossover) and hope it will fit. Sometimes it
does but sometimes it doesn't.

Personally I tend to use whichever size is best suited to the purpose.

Oh, think about poor plumbers... BSP, BSF, UNC, metric, imperial....
:-))) I have to make sure I get the right thread when I make a
fitting for one of my rod rests (fishing) too. They are 3/8 BSF.....
I think ;-)

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay